Friday, May 30, 2008

High School Reunions - Stairway to Heaven or Highway to Hell?

So I am faced with having to go to my high school reunion tomorrow and yes I am going under duress. Its not going and seeing people that I haven't seen in years or going and not knowing a single soul or even worse, going and no one remembers me that worries me but rather the fact of what the hell am I going to wear?

Fashion has changed a lot in the 17 years since I last wandered the halls of my former school. Leg warmers were in, then out and now strangely back in again but do I want to put those on with my mini skirt, fluorescent, hyper-colour t-shirt, anklet socks with the lace around the ankles and go go boots? Or should I go with the jeans, over sized sweatshirt and impossibly big hair? This decision could effect the rest of my life, for better or worse. Once decided upon the outfit the hair and make up come next. Do I do the big do? Pull it back with a scrunchy? Ruin the ozone with cans of hairspray to make sure it stays in place? Get a really bad spiral perm and try to pass it off as natural? Put on that baby blue eye shadow, black eye liner that would make any goth proud, the Faces 59 lipstick (yes I still have a tube for the special occasions) or do I go all natural? Again, too many choices.

Don't even get me started on accessories. The 4 foot bead necklaces that wrap several times around your neck, the rubber bracelets, the huge Janet Jackson hoop earrings, belts (yes plural) around your hips or worse yet right on your waist...all these accessories are somewhere in my basement in boxes somewhere. Any way you look at it, if I choose to dress as I did in high school to help people remember who I am, I am doomed.

I think in order to get me through the next 24 hours I will just have to do as Frankie says and "Relax", and hope that my head stops "Spinning Right Round Baby Right Round, Like a Record Baby Right Round Round Round" and pray that "Billy won't be a Hero". But then again he may come in and do the "Stay Cat Strut" and we'll all scream "Lets Hear it for the Boy" and promise all our long lost friends that we will "Always" be friends "With or Without You". I will have "Pride" in my school that is on the "Street with no Name".

1 comment:

Alison Hunter said...

LOL - Oh Schmeck, this blog made me laugh. You looked divine at the reunion and narry a legwarmer in sight. I'm gonna write a blog about the reunion but I think I'll tie it in to my students graduation next week.